After Chris went out to visit family, he and I got a chance to take a getaway of our own. We chose to visit New England, namely the Boston, Massachusetts area. Due to Chris' many business trips as Battalion Commander over the past 2 years he was on the high priority list and we both got bumped up to first class. He was very excited for the extra leg room. I was very excited for the heated hand towels and in-flight meal. ;) My man knows how to take care of me!
Our first full day was Sunday so we went to a local ward and then took a little 2 hour road trip up to Sharon Vermont to visit Joseph Smith's Birthplace. It was a nice little visitor's center and fun to have time to just chat in the car on the drive. I think we even listened to a Conference talk or two.
Monday we hit Salem, Massachusetts, seeing a couple lighthouses at Winter Island Park (Fort Pickering) and Rockport Colonial Beach.
We also hit the Salem Witch Museum and the cemetery of the victims from the Salem Witch trials.
Loved the beautiful rocky coast, although you can probably tell from the way I'm dressed that it was a bit chilly!
We also toured The House of Seven Gables (never read the book though). We definitely got in our 10,000 steps every day of this trip!
Tuesday we hit it hard with downtown Boston and the Freedom Trail.
![]() |
| Site of the Boston Massacre |
![]() |
| Benjamin Franklin Statue |
There were a ton of amazing cemeteries in the city with famous people who played a great part in founding our country. Really neat to see and also realize that we were related to some of these people!
![]() |
We also detoured a bit to see the capitol building, a monument dedicated to some Civil War Era soldiers, . . .
. . . and the oldest working bookstore in America. It was super cool how they had an outdoor section and an indoor section. Chris had a blast perusing the books.
![]() |
| Brattle Book shop - amazing outdoor bookstore! |
![]() |
| Paul Revere's Home |
![]() |
| Paul Revere Statue and Old North Church in the Background. "On if by Land and Two if by Sea" |
We finished the day by taking part in the "Boston Tea Party." It was a fun, interactive experience where the tour guides were in character and we were given parts as well and even allowed to throw tea in the harbor! ;)
It was a very full day and we saw a lot of amazing things. I've only showcased here a handful of pictures of what we actually did/saw. Needless to say, we were a little tired by the end. And I have to say, also, that Chris was a trooper and very patient while I was looking around in all the gift shops for Christmas Tree decorations and souvenirs for the girls.
Wednesday we decided to take a little slower day and hit the Boston Temple. It was a beautiful day, beautiful temple, and so good to spiritually rejuvenate!
After the temple we changed our clothes and went to see Lexington, Concord, and the Minute Man Trail (Battle Road), basically following Paul Revere's ride. It was a beautiful nature walk with interesting monuments and facts along the way.
![]() |
| North Bridge |
As we were driving to all these sites, we just happened to pass the "Little Women" house by Louisa May Alcott. Bonus!
Thursday we were back on the Freedom Trail to finish seeing what we had missed on Tuesday. We hit the USS Constitution Ship and Bunker Hill.
![]() |
| The Actual Plymouth Rock! |
Next we went to a working replica of a 17th Century Colony and Native American Village - pretty neat!
![]() |
| First Ever "Boat-Ox" Hahaha! So random and so creepy. |
![]() |
| At the Mall when we went to see "Avengers". Love it! |
So, in addition to seeing a lot of really neat stuff, what I really loved about this trip was getting to spend time with my awesome best friend. It was great to just be able to laugh and joke around and hang out. (And watch Agents of Shield every night!) I LOVED IT!
![]() |
| (This is the only way I can work out with my husband, where he can't run away! :)> ) |
I loved that we would get up and work out together in the morning.
And finally, I loved the inside jokes that were made on this trip - number one being "DUNKIN' DONUTS!" Seriously, there was a stinking Dunkin' Donuts on every corner - one freeway exit had two! (But one was a 24 hour one and one was regular so, ya know.) We even saw a Dunkin' Donuts across the street from another one that was attached to a gas station. We made note of all of them, but never ate a single doughnut on our trip!!! Hahaha.
![]() |
| Dunkin' Donuts in the airport. . . shocker. |



















































2 comments:
That sounds like a great trip to not have kids with, ha ha. You saw some amazing stuff, I would love to see all of those things. And so fun to just have time with the two of you!!! We fully support a trip with just us.
-Tiffany
Yay for a trip without kids! I have always wanted to see Boston, looks so cool, and I cant believe you both would get up to exercise with all the walking you must have been doing, my feet hurt just thinking about it.
Post a Comment