Sunday, September 14, 2008

Y(IKE)S! What a Week!

Well, this week at the O’Gwin’s we had a brush with Ike। It did not hit us as badly as we were expecting (once again), but we did end up with a ½ hour power outage and a few downed tree limbs! :) I shouldn’t joke though; I know that there are a lot of people who were hit badly by Ike and I am very grateful that our family was kept safe। We did have a lot of tornadoes pass through the area so we had the girls sleep in the hallway Friday night। All is well now, and I suppose tomorrow I’ll dump out all the water again and get back out the grill and patio furniture. Two more months of hurricane season . . .

This week I was able to volunteer at Aly’s school and I LOVED IT!! I am seriously like the geeky type of person who loved school and loves to organize anything! One time when Chris and I were dating (and actually in the same state), we split up in a store to look for a few different items and Chris came back to find me organizing the merchandise in the store. I know; I’m weird. But the extra bonus of volunteering at the school was that my good friend, Natalie, was watching Kate, and Lise was at preschool and so I could just work and organize totally uninterrupted. Ah, heaven.

This week was totally crazy for Chris. He had a huge paper to write, an online test to take, and work hours were crazy. Because of this, he started driving himself to work with his left foot. Desperate times call for desperate measures. He got almost no sleep and was stressed to the max, but did very well on everything, of course. Despite all the stress, he still made time for he and I to go out to lunch, which makes me really happy.

Aly is really jumping into reading and it is awesome! She started reading “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” this week and she keeps telling me what page she’s on. Her other big thing is tree climbing. She and her friend, Haley, will climb trees almost every day for hours after school. Supposedly they’re having a “war” with the boys in the neighborhood, with the boys shooting nerf darts and stuff up into the tree, while the girls throw leaves and nuts down on the boys. Aren’t the boys supposed to be the ones climbing the trees?

Analise informed me this week that “when you grow up and get married and want to have kids what you do is touch your husband on the leg right here” and then she pointed to her knee. She got this from when we watched “Father of the Bride” as a family and the fiancé touches Annie’s knee and it makes Steve Martin go crazy. Whew! Luckily it was the knee. I was getting a little worried there.

Speaking of body parts, Kate is learning her own body parts as well. Her favorite is still her belly button, but she’ll blink for “eyes”, sniff for “nose”, and stick out her tongue for “mouth”. Kate is also starting to learn how to use silverware – no reduction in the amount of mess yet, though.

Well, that’s all for this week. Until next time . . .

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Stace- Lise kills me. And so does Kate. I'm glad that everything went well with the hurricane!! Oh, by the way- have you finished Breaking Dawn yet? If so... what did you think?

bigtallhorses said...

Fun to see what you guys are up to! Thanks to Lisa we found your blog!Such a cute family and blog name stacey!
kristine godfrey

Jess said...

Lise is hilarious!!! But poor Chris, & poor you, it's always hard when the husband is stressed & overloaded. Mom told me about the lady at the school when you were volunteering, how she was worried that the printer was going to print off in Spanish! SO Funny, but even FUNNIER was the "Chinese Frank" story- Loved it! I'll want to hear it first hand from you one of these days though! Love Ya!

Johnston Family said...

Sorry Stace, this has happened to me before, but the comment above is actually from me, but I didn't realize that Jesse was still signed in on the computer (since we share) & I didn't want to have to re-type my whole comment!

Melissa said...

I loved your family update. That must be so exciting to watch Aly get into reading. I'm sure that her teacher LOVES you and your mad organizing skills. :) I wish you could come and organize my house.

Kimberly said...

I don't know if I could drive with my left foot...good thing Chris is so great at multi-tasking. We know what it's like to get too little sleep (sigh), at least you got to go out to lunch. Oh, and loved the knee touching comment...too hilarious!

Darcie said...

Oh you poor husband, I am sure that I have the skills to drive w/ my left foot.

I LOL about the knee touching thing. Kids come up with the funniest thing. Braxton once told us that the ONLY reason he would get married is that you get to go eat at nice places and can go see movie whenever you want! I should have told him that he can do that w/ out getting married, but being that it is his ONLY reason for getting married I will just, LAUGH!!

Darcie said...

Sorry!! I meant to say I DO NOT have the skills to drive w/ my left foot!! :)

Diane said...

Are there seriously two more months of hurricane season left? Man! Sure glad you guys didn't get the brunt of the storm in your area. We got some rain and a little wind, but no tornadoes. Those tornado warnings can be a little tense. You have such a cute little family. It's fun to read about you guys.

erin sheely said...

Okay, Lise is hilarious. Wahoo foro not having to have THAT talk yet. :) I am so happy that Aly loves reading and that you like volunteering at her school. It sounds like a blast!