Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just Us Girls

So, Chris left town for a few weeks and I told the girls I would cook what they wanted while Daddy is away. This has been our menu for the past week: Scones, Lipton Noodles, Rice, Pancakes, Baked Potato Bar, and Homemade Macaroni and Cheese. So yeah, pretty much we're on an all carb diet with cereal for breakfast and peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. We've thrown in some fruit and veggies, of course, but by last night I just had to break down and grill me a juicy burger!!
In the past couple of weeks we have done some fun things: geocaching, Gordon kids sleepover, the zoo, neighborhood birthday party, family game night, movie night, and practicing gymnastics in my bedroom (Chris' exercise bar was "the bar", jumping off my bed was "the vault", and my exercise mat was "the floor").
This week I also took away Kate's pacifier. I decided that while Chris was away would be a good time to do it. So far it has gone pretty well, but Kate is mourning in her own way. She asks for it when I put her to sleep and when I get her up she looks for it underneath her crib saying "fiers, fiers?" It makes me sad . . . but not sad enough to give it back.
Aly and Analise have been cracking me up by demonstrating to me the difference between their "fake" laughs and their "real" laughs. They were also showing me how to hula hoop - without a hula hoop. It looked hilarious. Kate's funny thing for the past couple of weeks has been her obsession with "spiders". They are actually those flying Krane bugs (look like mosquitos, but bigger) that come into our house when we open the door at night. Kate loves those things and follows them around the house saying "biders! biders!" And if she can't find them "ba -bye, biders!"
And finally, we have some exciting news to announce . . . . Chris was accepted to the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) and so we will be heading to California sometime this summer!! We have heard a lot of good things about this duty station and we are very excited to be "closer" to family (at least on the same side of the US) and living right on the ocean. I'm also excited for Chris' school work to be his only work for awhile. Should be a great time!! :)

8 comments:

Deana said...

So you guys will pack up and move to California. I'm sure it will be a nice change although you probably have already made more great friends to leave behind. It is great to be closer to family! Congrats Chris!

Darcie said...

Love the dinners, when Steve is on night shifts that is about what I make also. My kids love breakfast for dinner and secretly so do I. Sounds like you have been busy and having a lot of FUN.

CONGRATS on getting into to NPS that we will be so nice to be a little closer to family and the ocean!!!

mikenmarta said...

Wow! In and out of that place in a year and a half--its almost a record! Congrats on Monterey. Kinda wish you were joining us in Kansas, but I know you guys are so excited! I've got a few friends in Cali now. Let me know if you want me to get you some info. on schools/preschools, housing, etc. Take care!

Jessica said...

It's official- you have the cutest girls...EVER!! That's all I have to say at the moment!! Love ya guys!!!

Johnston Family said...

I love the pictures, their hair is adorable! Love the stories as always, I wish that I could have been there to see the "hula hooping". Oh & I am super excited that you guys are moving to California! I'm so excited for this summer when it sounds like we'll get to see ya a lot! Wehoo!

Kimberly said...

There's nothing like a good burger...you need one every once in awhile! The things your girls do always cracks me up! I am so excited for you guys to be moving to California...you might like it so much you may never want to leave!

Carrie said...

Yay! I am so excited! We will most definitely have to stop by and visit you guys, and I'm glad that this timing works out better for you guys too, how nice to finally know.

MANDY said...

California? I'm happy for you, but sad for Natalie. She'll miss you, I'm sure, as will the kids. but, great news for Chris and your family! As always, your kids keep me smiling. You are such a fun mom...I have much to learn from you.