Monday, July 11, 2011

Family Home Evening Fun

Okay, so about 75% of the time our Family Home Evenings consist of plain, old, reading stories out of the Friend magazine. (I'm all about being consistent, but without the stress of having to come up with a huge production every week. I believe FHE should be as low stress as possible!)Occassionally though, we like to spice it up a little. A couple of weeks ago we finished reading about Lehi's dream in the book of Mormon, so we decided to recreate it out of Legos for Family Home Evening. It was awesome! Aly was in charge of the Great and Spacious building, Lise was in charge of the Tree of Life, and I was in charge of the Iron Rod/Straight and Narrow Path, the Mists of Darkness, and the River. (Kylie was sleeping, Chris was working late, and Kate was throwing a temper tantrum. So yeah, only 50% attendance at this FHE, but we still had a lot of fun!)





I was very impressed at how much the girls remembered about the story. Aly made sure that the people in the building were pointing, and that there was someone wandering over to the building. (Notice they wanted all the Star Wars guys to be the bad guys!)




The girls also wanted to make sure that the river was filthy and that there was someone "drowining in the depths thereof". I love how we ended up with tires, steering wheels, windows, and space junk in the river.




Lise did a great job creating the tree, making sure that the fruit was white, and wanting there to be a bunch of flowers. She also wanted Lehi to be bald, since he's so old. :) The girls also wanted someone who didn't cling to the rod, wandering off in the mists of darkness. The lego people on the path are Sariah, Nephi, and Sam. Hopefully the girls will remember this FHE and remember to "hold to the rod!"




Another fun family home evening activity we did when my mom and Jess were here was Balloon Volleyball over the bar. Very impromptu fun. (Sorry you didn't make it in the picture Jess. You can see the corner of your walker though! ;)




*And, if you're looking for other simple activities, here's some that have worked for us in the past: Flashlight Tag, taking a walk around the neighborhood, and lessons from the Nursery Manual, "Behold Your Little Ones" (these lessons are perfect for the older two girls to give.)






**Please share some of your own easy, fun FHE ideas!!**




2 comments:

Jessica said...

That Lego Tree of Life is AWESOME!!! Wish I could've been there to see that in person! Your girls are very creative I gotta admit. And sorry- but I have no easy FHE ideas. Love ya!

Johnston Family said...

LOOOOOOVE the Lego Tree of Life, the girls did a great job! We mainly just do articles from the Friend as well, but sometimes we will role play out some of the stories. And the boys LOVE playing hide & go seek as our activity. Nothing too original here. :)