Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm Weird.

-I'm weird.
-No. You're quirky. Weird and quirky are two very different things.
(Quote from the movie Runaway Bride)

So, I saw on another blog a post where you have to list six of your quirks and I thought that fit me perfectly. So I copied it. Oh, and I drug Chris into the mess too and thought of 6 of his quirks to share (which he is absolutely thrilled about, by the way.)

STACY
1. I'm obsessed with smells in general, but mainly smelling food. For instance, if I'm having a salad, I can't decide which salad dressing I want until I've opened up the dressings and smelled them. I might also open up leftover containers in the fridge for a whiff before deciding what to eat. The aroma lets me know what my tummy wants.

2. After watching a movie a couple of times I can have nearly the whole thing memorized, and will often quote movies as they relate to the circumstances in my life (as demonstrated by the intro to this post!)

3. I am one of the most organized people I know - I'm like the list Nazi. Anyone who knows me can attest to (and usually comments on, upon entering my house) the number of lists just on my fridge: grocery list, meal idea list, Wal-mart to buy list, etc. And that's not even scratching the surface. There's also the "potential gift ideas list" for each member of my family, "songs I like to download list", "books to read list", "things I want in my someday dream home list", my "getting ready for Christmas to-do list", "packing for a vacation list", "possible baby names list", not to mention my regular to-do long term and short term lists. I can't function until I've written something down. Chris and I have a rule in our house that you are not allowed to cross something off of the other person's to do list. That is for their personal satisfaction. Oh, and back to the organized thing, I've actually had movers tell me how much they enjoyed packing my house because it was so organized - a couple of times, actually. Sad, but true. I do not stress myself over the organization, it just is me and I love doing it. I know I'm weird (I mean, quirky.)

4. I will make up my own song lyrics to fit my current scenario and am constantly singing at random times - like in the middle of the supermarket. My kids are always saying "oh mom!" when I change the High School Musical lyrics to "What time is it? Time to wake up. Get out of Bed!" or "You look Fabulous! You're gonna have a great day. Fabulous! No clouds in your way." Etc., etc.

5. Chris told me that I had to put one of my quirks as picking garment wedgies. (Of course he would know, as he's always staring at my behind. See Chris quirk #3.)

6. And finally, I talk to myself. Mostly in my head, sometimes out loud, and sometimes, if I really need to work something out, I'll have the conversation in the mirror. When I was growing up my mom would think I was talking on the phone or had called her and then when she'd come to my room she'd find I was really just talking to myself. And it was a private conversation - sheesh!
("Next time you're talking to yourself, tell yourself you're single, and end the conversation." --While You Were Sleeping.)

CHRIS
1. Chris is the only grown man I know that still orders sprinkles on his ice cream when we go out.

2. Chris loves teasing the girls about their girly stuff by renaming everything. At our house we've got "My Little Phonies", "High School Poosical", "Manna Hontana", "Smolly Rockets", and "Stinkersmell".

3. Chris is obsessed with my bum. There has been a continuous game of bum pinching tag going on (yes, I take part in it as well, it is not one-sided) since we got married over 8 years ago. And it is not confined to the privacy of our own home by any means. Chris has no problem pinching my bum at family functions, out on a date, or even at church.

4. Chris has a great love for books, and especially book stores. He was the one who introduced me to the joy of spending a Friday evening at a Bookstore and has definitely rubbed off on me in this respect. We love reading books together and he likes to read books from almost any genre you can think of. He's usually in the middle of four or five different books at a time.

5. Chris can eat a whole pound of bacon (16 oz.) in one sitting. When we have bacon and tomato sandwhiches, Chris generously lets me pick my 3-5 pieces for my sandwhich and then he divides whatever is left between his two sandwhiches. He LOVES bacon!

6. Chris is in love with the whole GPS (Global Positioning System) technology thing. When we were first married he got his first handheld GPS unit and tracked our latitude and longitude as we drove to the movie theater (I had to drive so that he could track.) This has expanded to a worldwide treasure hunt called "geocaching" where you use your GPS to find caches around the world full of odds and ends and you can take stuff and leave stuff. Of course we had to buy another "kid friendly" GPS for the kids to use. The girls love going with Daddy on their "treasure hunts". And lastly, we have recently acquired our third GPS unit, one for the car, which I have nicknamed Chris' mistress "Lucy". He insits he loves me better, but he's stuck by Lucy through thick and thin, even when she led us off roading on our way home from a temple trip.

Well, that's it. Now you know a little more than you wanted to about the O'Gwin's unique eccentricities. The sad part about this is, that as I've read over my quirks, I realize that these are the very things I blog about my children doing every week. What have I done to my kids? Oh well. So, if you'd like to join in and share your quirks, I'd love to hear them. If not, no worries; I'm not going to tag anyone. I believe in creating the least amount of stress in people's lives as I possibly can. :)

9 comments:

Staci said...

Stacy, I need you to come organize my house.. We have so much stuff and so little space. I need professional help! I had too much stuff for our last house and this house is 3 rooms smaller!
I love that you guys are so funny! I don't know that I could find that many quirks about me that I would be willing to share!
Sterling and the kids have done geocaching a few times,. the kids thought it was great!
Do you want to come over for dinner on Sunday.. we would love to have you! I miss those days!
Say hi to Chris for us!

Melissa said...

I LOVED reading about all of your quirks. It is so fun to get to know those kinds of things about people. We are all weird in our own ways, although, I really wish one of my quirks was being organized!!!

Janene said...

I also talk to myself all of the time - both in my head and outloud. In one of my classes at school, we were told that sane people talk to themselves. It is when one doesn't sort out the thoughts in their head (either quietly or outloud) that they become insane. So, this is a good quirk to have :)

Carrie said...

I love it! All your quirks made me miss you. What a fun idea. I'm amazed at how many similar list we have, but still I think you leave me in the dust when it comes to organization. You are amazing.

MANDY said...

I LOVED that post, Stacy! I don't know if I even know myself well enough to list my quirks. I know you even better now, and Chris, too! You guys are like my own little sitcom, sometimes......in other words, you make me laugh.

Diane said...

I can remember when you were little and would spend hours making up dances to your favorite pop tunes. You were always very organized. I never heard you talking to yourself though. I did however, hear your little brother outside my door sitting between the door and the screen door singing and talking to himself. Hmmmm..maybe it runs in the family. You're so cute, you even have cute quirks. It was fun reading about the two of you. Cute post!

Jessica said...

"The combination of Stacy #5 and Chris #3 proved too much for ol' Spence"- direct quote from Spencer

As for me... HILARIOUS! I also agree with Spence, but then again- I already knew that about you two. I just didn't realize you wanted everyone else to know it too!! All in all- you just crack me up! Love ya!!

Jessica said...

Oh, one more comment- that is such crap about the not stressing over the organization!! You totally stress over organizing!! How can you say otherwise? Anyways- still loved the post by the way. (Oh, and I read your comment on Caroline's blog about popping zits. How can you think that's worse than picking garment wedgies?! You cease to amaze me!!) Love ya guys!!!

Kimberly said...

Oh, you are so cute! Totally not quirky. I do the song thing too...it really bugs my kids...but deep down I know they love it! And, the bum pinching thing...hilarious...what is it about bums that guys love? You guys are too cute!