(I really do hope that by the time we leave Kentucky that Kylie will pronounce it correctly!)
On our trek up to Kentucky, we stopped for a couple of nights in Tennessee to visit with cousins. The fireflies were awesome! The girls were outside catching them in cups, and Kate decided to smear some on her pj's to make her jammies glow. So Kater.
The next day we did our laundry and then headed to the YMCA for fun in the pool. It had this awesome rock climbing wall, which was much harder than it looked! It was slippery when wet and angled backwards. But if you ended up falling, no worries, because you'd just fall into the pool. Super fun for the older kids (and Chris. And I even gave it a whirl.)
We brought a cooler of food from our Florida fridge/freezer, so hurray for popcicles on the deck! And thank goodness that the packers wouldn't pack any liquids so we have bubbles to play with!
On Saturday we celebrated Kate's 7th birthday. We didn't have too many presents since we didn't have our stuff, but we did celebrate with doughnuts for breakfast (a request from Kate) and went to see "How to Train Your Dragon 2" after dinner. I hope it was a good day for her, despite how unsettled we are at the moment.
I also need to send a huge THANK YOU to my Aunt Merrilee who sent me a welcome package. She and my mom were good friends and she knew that my Mom would come out and help me get my house situated for almost every single one of my moves. It's not going to be nearly as much fun without my mom here to laugh and joke around with while unpacking. But it was so kind of Merrilee to remember and send a wonderful pick me up. I am continually blessed by the thoughtfulness and kindness of others. THANK YOU!
On our trek up to Kentucky, we stopped for a couple of nights in Tennessee to visit with cousins. The fireflies were awesome! The girls were outside catching them in cups, and Kate decided to smear some on her pj's to make her jammies glow. So Kater.
The next day we did our laundry and then headed to the YMCA for fun in the pool. It had this awesome rock climbing wall, which was much harder than it looked! It was slippery when wet and angled backwards. But if you ended up falling, no worries, because you'd just fall into the pool. Super fun for the older kids (and Chris. And I even gave it a whirl.)
After church on Sunday we headed up to our new home. You know, the funny thing is, when we told people where we were moving to in Florida, we would usually get a "Oh, well, I hear it's really pretty up there." And then, even as we've come to Kentucky, when we tell people we came from Florida, we get a, "Oh, well, welcome to Kentucky", said in a kind of apologetic way. It cracks me up, because I am actually happy to be here. We are going to miss so many wonderful people from Florida, to be sure, and it was an awesome place to live, but just because we left an awesome place, doesn't mean that Kentucky doesn't have it's own awesomeness.
As we were driving up here I fell in love with the rolling hills, barns, and fields of corn. It brought back tons of memories from when Chris and I were stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, 14 years ago when we were newlyweds. I love the Kentucky bluegrass, the fireflies, how non-humid it is, and how it cools down at night. The girls don't like that we are near train tracks, so you'll hear trains sometimes at night. But I consider it a fair trade from the fighter jets flying overhead and the EOD school bombs that would rattle our house in Florida. Our neighborhood is up on a hill, which makes for some awesome sunsets. Here are just two that I've seen (and I've only been here for a week!) Heck, I'm even excited to have a winter for once! (I may not be saying this after 3 months of snow, but for now I'm all for it! ;)
Another thing is the amazing people we've met here. Since we're renting a member's home, a lot of people knew we were coming, and we have had a wonderful welcome. Within a 1/2 an hour of showing up, two neighbor girls had shown up to make friends with Analise, and another little girl wanted to play with Kate. Talk about an answer to prayers! Aly was off to her 2nd Round of Girl's camp the next day and said that everybody was really nice and welcoming. I don't know what it is, it's like I just feel - comfortable. Like I know this is where our family is supposed to be right now. And that is a great feeling.
(Not to mention, as an added bonus, on the way up here, Kylie was saying that she wanted a "rainbow house". Imagine how excited she was to discover that she gets to share a Pepto-Bismal pink room with Kate! Ecstatic doesn't even cover it. She was dancing around in her room singing, "Pink room, pink room," for 15 minutes.)
There have been a few wrinkles, however. Due to the mass exodus going on at Fort Knox this summer, we will not be able to get our household good delivered to us until July 11th. (Hence all the free time I have to catch up on my blog!!!) So we are camping in our house for 3 weeks. Thanks to the lending closet on post and the generosity of a few ladies in the ward, we've got the essential pots and pans needed for cooking, and below you will see the total amount of furniture we currently possess. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, and it's given me plenty of time to "mentally unpack" my house and figure out where I want all the furniture, etc. I've also had my first ever laundromat experience. (Thanks to Aly for coming along with me to help fold. I was a little uncomfortable in there, but it was super nice having the entire family's laundry done and folded in 2 hours!)
So, How have the girls done with an empty house on this end? Actually they've done pretty well in entertaining themselves. There has been a lot of exploring of the new house, games of tag, fort building, and Lise playing some game where she tries to get around the house while only stepping on carpet. The girls brought crayons, markers, Polly Pockets, Ponies, and Littlest Pet Shop animals in their backpacks, and we have books to read and movies to watch. We also brought their scooters, which they love to ride in the evenings when it cools down outside. It's actually been very refreshing to see how little the girls can get by on and what great imaginations they have.
Kate informed me that she wanted to cut a hole in her sleeping mat so that she can be a "blue, spikey ghost" for Halloween. Love it.
We brought a cooler of food from our Florida fridge/freezer, so hurray for popcicles on the deck! And thank goodness that the packers wouldn't pack any liquids so we have bubbles to play with!
On Saturday we celebrated Kate's 7th birthday. We didn't have too many presents since we didn't have our stuff, but we did celebrate with doughnuts for breakfast (a request from Kate) and went to see "How to Train Your Dragon 2" after dinner. I hope it was a good day for her, despite how unsettled we are at the moment.
I also need to send a huge THANK YOU to my Aunt Merrilee who sent me a welcome package. She and my mom were good friends and she knew that my Mom would come out and help me get my house situated for almost every single one of my moves. It's not going to be nearly as much fun without my mom here to laugh and joke around with while unpacking. But it was so kind of Merrilee to remember and send a wonderful pick me up. I am continually blessed by the thoughtfulness and kindness of others. THANK YOU!
So, hooray for Kentucky! It's gonna be great! And, just to start us out on the right foot, here is a quote of the week to show that even though our house and locations change, the zoo remains the same.
Lise - How many fingers am I holding up? (All of them)
Aly - 10
Kate - No 8! Thumbs aren't fingers.
Aly (gesturing to Kate) - And it's people like that, that made Pluto not a planet.














No comments:
Post a Comment