Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lotsa Love

Here are some glimpses into the O'Gwin home from the past couple of weeks:
Lise and Kylie melting marshmallows for Rice Krispie Treats
Since Kylie is a huge little helper and always loves to be a part of the action, we've decided she is old enough to have a mealtime job (with help).  Therefore we now have four jobs at dinner time: Cooking, Set the table, Clear the table, and dishes.  I have really enjoyed having one of the four girls help me with the cooking every night.  It's much less lonely and stressful for me.  (It's weird to say that cooking's lonely, but for me it is.)  Plus, Aly and Lise have used this to pass off a Faith in God goal by cooking a meal for the family - Aly made grilled cheese sandwiches and Lise made French toast and eggs. 
Kate making homemade pizza
We've had some heavy winter rainstorms come through, and Kate has jumped at any chance she can get to wear her rain boots to school.  (Not very practical for PE, however.)
Another favorite pasttime while Chris is away is to have the girls sleep in my bed.  It started out as just one here and there, but has now evolved into a main event - look we even have kids sleeping on the floor just to be in our room!  This may be cause for a few tears when we have to cut this off when Dad gets home.  I think I'll sleep much better though, not getting kicked in the night!
In going along with my non-midlife crisis, a couple of my friends are helping to give me a fashion makeover.  (See samples below).  It has been so much fun going out and doing this!  I bought my first pair of skinny jeans, a pair of flats, and now own a few more layers and accessories.  Oh, and I even got a pair of boots.  So hooray for being in style and a huge THANK YOU to my friends for helping me put it together!  (I never could have pulled this off on my own!)   I'll be wearing this style for the next 10 years, but at least I can say I was up to date at one point. :)



And finally, Valentine's Day.  With Kids it's more like a weekly event than a day, really.  For Monday's Family home evening we sent Dad Valentine e-cards and had a great time laughing at how silly they were.  Tuesday Kylie's preschool was on Valentine's and Love, and for the older kids there was the filling out of Valentine's and making of boxes.
Don't you love this heart hairstyle on Kate?

Wednesday was playgroup at my house for the decorating of Valentine's cookies.  The kids had a great time loading their cookies with tons of frosting and candy.  I had a great time too - I love hanging out with the aweswome ladies in my ward! (And their kids. ;)>)  
Thursday I was able to go to Kate and Analise's class parties.  (Aly had one too, but the parents weren't invited.  It made me kinda sad - I guess they're just too old and mature for that sort of thing.
Anyhoo, Kate's party had a craft where the kids decorated a popcicle stick picture frame and icecream Sundays.  She gave me the biggest bear hug with a huge grin on her face when she saw me waiting in her classroom for her.  It was awesome.
Kate's party ended 15 minutes before Lise's started, so I dashed over to her classroom.  Analise had decorated her box with all sorts of ice cream pictures (I think it's supposed to be an icecream truck) - she did it all by herself and I'm way proud of her.  Her party had a few games and then more food and treats.  I think I gained a few pounds on this day alone!
When we got home Lise gave everybody the candy she had got for them along with a card.  I gave the girls a box of chocolates, a light up rose, and a book (or two).  And then we got a surprise knock at the door . . . it was Kylie's little friend Ryder bringing her a cupcake, a big heart valentine he'd made, and then he sang her a Valentine's song!  It was soo adorable.  I couldn't believe my two year old was getting serenaded on Valentine's Day!  (Chris, better start getting out those guns to clean . . .  :)>)

On Friday the ward had an adult game night Bunco party.  It was fun to mix and mingle, plus I won some crazy socks!  And finally, Saturday we  watched "A Charlie Brown Valentine" on Netflix as a family.  It was the first time the girls had seen it and it was a crack up! 
 
So there you have it, our week of Valentine's Day.  Lotsa love, I tell ya, lotsa love.
 
(Oh, and for those of you out there wondering what Chris and I did for each other for Valentine's Day, we're going to celebrate when he gets home. ;)>)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Love your photos, and the week of celebration! So happy you had a good Valentine's week! Kids are growing up! Miss you. xo

tiffy said...

Love it! Your kids are lucky to have such a great mom! I know it must be hard to be both parents while Chris is gone, but you put the rest of us to shame!! I thought I was doing good by making heart shaped rice krispy treats :-)

Jessica said...

That is so adorable about that little boy singing and bringing gifts to Kylie. You're right- Chris better get the guns ready! ;) Glad you all had a great Valentine's Day!! Love each of you so much!!!

Natalie said...

I love that you got skinny jeans, flats, and boots. Now you'll have to tell me how you like wearing them. I bought a pair last fall and I can't stand the way they feel on me...to tight in the knees...Ugh! And you totally get the mom of the year award for letting your kids in sleep in your room, I hope you get some sleep too! They are totally in for a rude awakening when Chris some home! And I love the boots on Kate, it so reminded of the pink pair Amanda would wear everywhere when she was little=)