When we arrrived home from Utah in early January, I unfortunately was dealing with that nasty flu bug that was going around. Luckily the kids were all healthy, so I sent them back to school, put Dora on for Kylie and slept, and slept, and slept for about a week. The week after that was that week where you're not really sick, but not really better so you just kind of feel "bleh", ya know? I was trying to get back into the rhythm of things, reminding myself that I was back to being the only adult available to make things happen, but I was struggling. Finally one morning (I think I was finally completely over the flu) I decided "enough is enough! It is time to get out of this January Funk!"
So what did we do? PLENTY! We had a 4 day weekend coming up for the end of the quarter and Martin Luther King Junior Day and we partied it up that weekend, let me tell ya! First of all, we reconnected with all of our best buds - from movie night to a skating party in someone's driveway to Strawberry Shortcake Sunday Evening to meeting at Rocky Bayou State Park and letting the kids play outside for like 5 hours! It has been in the 70's here, and it was super good for my spirits to be able to get outside - especially in January!
Also, as an extra bonus, we decided to go to the CIRCUS! My friend's husband was deploying that morning, so we decided to get out and have fun with the kiddos. For being just a one-ring circus, they did a lot of stuff: Lions, Tigers, no bears - oh my!! But they did have horses, camels, dogs, and elephants, as well as a magic show, clowns, trampoline gymnastics, dancers, etc. It was a lot of fun and the kids all had a great time. Kylie woke up the next morning asking to go to the circus again. The only down side was my allergies going crazy from all the fur flying and it being a total money gimmic with trying to sell popcorn, 1 minute elephant rides, etc. for $5. But I held strong and only bought cotton candy and water! :)
| Love the Guy in the back row who knew he was going to be in our picture so he made the most of it. :) |
The next weekend we hit the beach with our good friends. It was around 70, so it was more of a play in the sand and fly kites sort of day, although the kids did get in the water a little bit. But seriously, just to be able to say we went to the beach in January! Craziness!
| I love this picture of Kylie and Maddie letting the waves "chase them." |
| Aly on the trick Kite |
As far as the girls go, we've lost Aly to the world of Percy Jackson - she's always got her nose stuck in a book. If she isn't reading then she's either hanging out with the kids she rides the bus with or listening to Taylor Swift's "Red" album on the iPod she bought with her babysitting money. I feel lucky to get even a few minutes of face time with her in a day. The rest of the girls have really gotten into making huts lately, using every chair, blanket, pillow, and stepstool we own. They have also rediscovered the game of hide-and-go-seek. They play it everywhere with everyone. They wanted to play it in the airport on the way home, but I put an end to that. Analise has started gymnastics and loves it. We carpool with two friends who live down the street. Kate has been eating everything in sight lately and I'm expecting her to shoot up a couple inches here soon. And for Kylie I've joined a little joy school with some other moms. Kylie loves going to her "preschool".
And while we're on the subject of the girls, here is a fabulous conversation I had with Analise the other night at dinner:
(Me, talking about needing to remember something), Lise - We'll remind you, Mom. We're the brains in this operation.
. . . Two minutes later . . .
Lise - What were we talking about?
Me - I thought you were the brains in this operation.
Lise - I am. I just don't have my lightbulb yet. [To light up above her head with all her great ideas.]
Love it.
At the end of January I was able to go to New Beginnings with Aly - I can't believe she's turning 12 this year! I had a very special experience while I was there. Recently I had been feeling a little anxious about having a "teenager", and entering the next stage of parenthood. But as I was sitting in New Beginnings the Spirit whispered to me that rather than seeing my daughter as a "teenager" and all the negative connotations that go along with that, I should view her as a "Young Woman" working her way towards the temple. The theme for this year is "Stand Ye in Holy Places", which was perfect. I was so grateful to be given the vision of how to view my daughters and help them as they enter this new exciting stage. I know it's going to be an awesome, exciting, wild ride, but I am grateful for this glimpse of the eternal perspective to help me keep my focus.
Oh, and one final note. As this New Year is a time of New Beginnings in many ways, I wanted to list my New Year's Resolutions. They are very vague, which I know is not what you're supposed to do, but I am such a "check it off your list" type of person that I almost think I need to go more big picture rather than micromanaging just to balance myself. So here they are (1) Choose Faith and Hope, regardless of the circumstance, (2) Expect progression, not perfection [in myself and others]. So here's to a wonderful 2013. It's going to be GREAT!

2 comments:
As always I love your post! Sounds like some great, fun ways to get out of the January funk!! And I loved the end about viewing Aly (and your other daughters) as a "young woman" preparing for the temple rather than a "teenager". Such great insight. Love you all so much!!
You have such an amazing attitude. I really appreciate what you said about Aly, and being a young woman. We are here to help them on their journey. I am grateful for your perspective and the great love you have for your children. You're awesome! xoxo
Post a Comment