Aly didn't want to go back, until she discovered that she got the teacher she wanted (who also happens to be a member of our ward) and that she has some friends in her class. Then she couldn't wait for Monday to come! Lise was happy that she got the "Skittles" teacher who gives out skittles for good behavior. Her best school friend wasn't in her class, but she plays with her at recess and has been warming up to her new class slowly. I'm going to be volunteering in Lise's class as the "Smiley Math" helper (yeah, cheesy name, I know), and helping out with special events in Aly's class. I also hope to get over there to run with the kids for Mile club as well and have lunch with them now and again. So yeah, even though I'm not in school anymore, I'm still excited for back to school and to be a part of it - I'm still weird.
Kate loved going to preschool as well. She loves doing puzzles, arts and crafts, the turtle tent, the sand table, the mini couches (and mini toilets), the playground, eating lunch with her friends, etc. She loves learning too and always comes home and sings to me the new songs she's learned. She can't wait to tell the teachers that she can count to 100 by herself and that she knows all the alphabet and most of the sounds. She is currently learning about the days of the week, which will be super helpful for me so that she doesn't keep asking me every day if it's movie night. The only down side for her is that she wants to know why she can't go to school on Friday like her sisters.
The only one who had a hard time with the kids going back to school was Kylie, who had to adjust to only having one mom, instead of 3 extras to entertain and get for her whatever she needs/wants. She was super clingy and whiny that first week, like she was having separation anxiety, was bored, and was worried that everyone had abandoned her and that I was going to leave her too. (Don't you just love how I psychoanalyze my kids - especially when they can't talk to defend themselves or say otherwise.) She's doing a little better now though and loves to go places and pick up Kate from school.
And as for me, I had a few little adjustments of my own with back to school. I totally tried to get the kids geared up and ready with getting bedtime back on track and everything, but I kind of forgot to mentally adjust myself to be ready for homework again and all that. Plus all my ideas of getting a ton of stuff done while the kids are at school went out the window when I realized that I still have Kylie here making messes faster than I can clean them up and no helpers here to entertain her. I did, however, have a "Back-to-School" Brunch at my house for anyone in the ward who wanted to come, which was a ton of fun and gave me some much needed adult conversation with other moms. And to celebrate back to school as a family, we also had free pizza from Papa Murphy's last weekend that the kids had earned from all the books they read this summer. Good work guys! And here's to another successful school year . . .
3 comments:
Glad everyone's adjusting well to school. Love the updates! Hopefully they're not a month apart from now on though. ;) Love ya Stace!!!
I first thought that you were saying that Lise's teachers name was Ms Skittles & I was like "What's up with her teachers names?" Didn't she have a teacher named Ms Sugar or something like that? And I am feeling the same way as you, it's so weird to just have Makai home all day. I'm like "Jaden, go talk to your sister, Jaden? Jaden!....Oh wait, they are gone"
Fabulous posts Stacy...love that your kids liked star wars...going to have to try that with ours.
I laugh imagining you sniffing your way through the school section in the store=)
Hope things get better with the antibiotics for Kate. Give us a holler if you need Dave's advise with all that!
Post a Comment