Sunday, October 9, 2016

Why I Loved Kentucky

So, the time had come to move.  We knew from the moment that we moved in to Kentucky that we were only going to be there for 2 years.  That didn't make it any easier when the time came to leave, however.  Especially when Kentucky was so good to us.  In our family when talking about different places we've lived, we often find ourselves saying, "that was a California thing" or "that was a North Carolina thing", etc.  Well, here are some of the "Kentucky things" that I am so grateful for:

 * Going to see Plays.  I don't know why, but I have become a fan of the theater.  And in Kentucky I got my fill!  We got season tickets to the local theater and made it a tradition to go out with friends to the plays - loved those double date nights!  We also took our kids to see various plays and Lise was even in one!  Loved seeing her stretch and develop her talents.

*Church History tours & Camping -  From the moment we found out we were going to Kentucky I said I wanted to visit all the church history sites with the kiddos as this may be the closest we get - and we did!  So, so loved sharing that experience & my testimony with my family - & camping in nature at the same time.  Great memories.


*Seasons - I had been missing my Autumns, Winters, and Springs after living in Florida - and I got my fill in Kentucky - beautiful Autumn leaves, corn fields, pumpkin patches, etc. in the Fall. Snow, sweaters, sledding, hot chocolate, & snuggling up in blankets in the winter.  The return of life, blooming, and flowers in the Spring.  Loved it all!



* A Great place to raise kids - strong family values.  Seriously.  I have never met so many genuine people all in the same place before.  The awesome ward we were a part of were amazing examples of accepting everyone where they are at and loving them for who they are.  The school teachers & staff all knew my children (& me) by name within a month of us being there, and Aly's Cross Country Coaches were amazing - they really took an interest in their athletes and the parents as well.  Such a loving and accepting environment.  I just can't do it justice.


* Family time.  Our last 2 years in Florida really put us through the ringer with back to back deployments and our boating accident.  Kentucky gave our family the time and space we needed to heal.  Chris' job was much more low key, with regular hours and flexible time so he could use up some of his leave he'd been building up.  So, so grateful for the time we had to take a breather and reconnect as a family.  We needed that.


* * The People, the People, the People! Above all, it is always the people that make the place for me.  And, as is the case whenever I get to the end of a duty station, I look back on the wonderful friends I've made and realize that there are good people everywhere and how blessed I am to have so many wonderful people brought into my life.  It gives me hope for the next duty station where I know there will be new amazing friends waiting for me, but it also makes me sad to say good-bye to these friends and this stage of my life.  I hope they know that I take a piece of them - and all that they've taught me - to my next stage.



So, we will miss you Kentucky. You were a tender mercy that came at just the right time.  Thank you for all you gave to me and my family.  If the circumstances ever allow, I would not mind getting re-stationed here one bit!

No comments: