This week we had a little incident . . . a friend had brought over beautiful, shiny, purple, mylar, star balloon for the girls to play with because she was sick of it hanging around at her house (you know how long those things last). The girls loved it. There was a small gift bag tied to the string at the bottom, so it became a hot air balloon and the means of transferring toys up to Analise's top bunk and whatever else my children's imagination led them to. UNTIL. They started fighting over the balloon. I told them that if they couldn't share then I was going to take the balloon away. Well, the whining and grabbing continued until I said, "that's it! The balloon is gone." At that exact moment, Chris pulled his switch-blade from his pocket and stabbed the balloon - and the balloon was dead. All three children burst into sobs for 1/2 an hour, giving Chris the puppy dog "how could you?!?" looks. Even the next day, Kate pulled the balloon out of the trash, brought it to me, and said, "Daddy pop a balloon, mama." Quite the traumatic event at our house. So anyway, a few days later the girls started fighting over a kitty stuffed animal and I said, "Do I need to call Dad in here to cut up the kitty?" The girls got these terrified looks in their eyes and said, "NO! We'll be nice!" Chris, in his King Solomon-like wisdom, said he would happily slice any toy the children are fighting over in 1/2 and give each child a piece. Ahh, it's nice to have another bargaining chip when threatening my children.
Now for the Primary update: it has taken over my life. I go to bed thinking about it and wake up thinking about it. I'm working on the program and calling people to fill in the holes. My presidency is great, it's just going to take a little bit to get everything up and running. I do enjoy it though and I know I am going to grow to love the kids.
I've also started helping out with Aly and Analise's classes at school and I love it. I get to go listen to kids read and help out with homework bags. It's nice to feel connected with what's going on with the girl's teachers and classes.
But other than that we're doing well. We've had some Daddy-daughter dates going on which consisted of Aly and Chris hiking along the beach, and Lise & Chris going swimming at the community center. Kate and I were feeling a little left out so I took her to the pool another time. I did get my own personal date with Chris last night which was a ton of fun just to get away from all the callings, papers, and children craziness we've got going right now. Yummy mexican, strolling along the shops, Zuka's and a movie with your hubby. What could be better? We're also going hiking along the beach as a family tomorrow for Labor day. I'm excited!
And now for a final quote of the week from Kate. She picked her nose one morning, looked at the booger, ate it, and said, "Mmm, it's a breakfast boogie."
8 comments:
Stace... Chris kills me. I'm sure he's only TOO happy to rip to shreds some of their toys. As for your calling- I'm a little concerned. It shouldn't "take over your life." Remember- balance is key. But I know you're doing awesome. Wish I could see the Primary Program. Those are always great. Anyways- love ya guys!!
Your blog makes me laugh every time. I literally busted up laughing about Chris whipping out the switchblade. And the pics are awesome as always. Love ya & I'll keep you in my prayers for your calling. I know that you are doing an awesome job. At the same time I was sitting back & watching our Primary President in our ward today & thinking what an overwhelming calling that is & what a good job she does & that I should send her a little "note" to let her know how much she's appreciated. And then I thought of you, knowing that you are probably in Stacy stress out mode, but seriously, I know that I am rambling, but I know that you are greatly appreciated in your ward, without even meeting anyone in your ward. And I can't think of anyone better suited than you. Sorry, I'm making no sense. Just know I love & support you.
I used to do the same thing with ballons only I did not used the knife. Good one Chris! Once you fill in the wholes in Primary things will start running smoothly. I know what you are going through. I am sure you are doing great!
Okay, I was seriously laughing out loud until I read the Kate quote and my gag reflex kicked in.....what can you do? Right? If they wanna eat 'em, there's not much you can say to deter them. haha I am so with you on the bargaining chip to threaten your kids - my current one with Mallory is when she starts screaming at bedtime, I threaten to close her window the next time she does it. Don't ask me why it works, it just does. Oh, and by the way -- I'm about to enter your same world of primary stress, and I'm trying not to freak out. Talk with you more about that later.
I bet you are an amazing Primary President! I don't know if you remember, but I had braces in the third grade. A little older than Aly...all the pain will be worth it!
LOL, that is great. Love that you are the one stressed with the calling, I remember all to well the sleepless nights and such, after a year I finally was through that phase...call me!
That is a parenting tactic that I love!! I'm actually surprised my husband has never done that, and I was cracking up at the thought of Chris whipping out the knife! Too funny! To be a fly on the wall in your house with all the fun that goes on around there!!!
You'll hve to look up my friend, Karen Decker when you're at the school. She has twin girls in Kindergarten, and lives sorta near you. She's the one I was visiting in July.
Oh my stac - you make me laugh! It's great the things our kids say.
Post a Comment